Lawang Sewu was designed by Cosman Citroen, from the firm of J.F. Klinkhamer and B.J. Quendag. It was designed in New Indies Style, an academically-accepted term for Dutch Rationalism in the Indies. Similar with Dutch Rationalism, the style is the result of the attempt to develop new solutions to integrate traditional precedents (classicism) with new technological possibilities. It can be described as a transitional style between Traditionalists and the Modernists, and was strongly influenced by the design of Berlage. Construction began in 1904 with A building, which was completed in 1907. The rest of the complex was finished in 1919. It was initially used by the Nederlandsch-Indische Spoorweg Maatschappij, the first railway company in the Dutch East Indies.
The mosque complex covers 10 hectares (25 acres). There are three central buildings arranged in the shape of a U, with the domed mosque at the centre; all buildings have pitched, tiled roofs, while the central mosque has four minarets. The central roof resembles the roof of a "joglo", the traditional Javanese house, and symbolises the rising steps toward heaven or to gain God's blessing. The long buildings forming the arms of the U house a library and auditorium respectively; the auditorium can hold up to 2,000 people.
is a tourist attraction  located on Jalan Yos Sudarso Semarang, approximately 5 Km from Tugu Muda, is one of the parks in the PRPP (Development and Promotion Center) area of Central Java. As a mini park in Central Java which summarizes all traditional houses  which are called pavilions from 35 regencies and cities in Central Java. Within these houses, industrial and handicraft products are produced by each region. In addition to displaying traditional houses, this attraction is equipped with water recreation facilities such as, water bicycles, boats, as well as trains for visitors. Open to the public from 8:00 to 18:00. Can be reached by public or private vehicles.